About Me

My photo
A simple way to keep everyone up to date on my life as a young adult and college student.

Saturday, February 15, 2014

My Thoughts on V-day


Now, let’s just settle some pre-conceived ideas you may be having about this article. It’s not a witch fest where I’ll be ranting about my singleness, with an ‘Oh-woe-is-me’ attitude. I’m simply addressing a subject that Valentine’s Day seems to highlight with the broad spectacle and grandeur of a Broadway production.

Singleness.

The subject has made itself very apparent for me in my third year of college. There are numerous articles about it through many different great Christian magazines, blogs (Relevant, namely) and has increased its weight in my life to such a burden that I’ve more than once had to rely on my friends to support me.

For most of my life I’ve been single. I realize I am not alone in this, but for whatever reason it has become glaringly obvious this year, and a deep-seated urgency has also taken root.

I’ve found myself fighting thoughts and feelings similar to: “Well, your friends have been faithful in their pursuits of Christ, so naturally they would be rewarded with God-fearing men.” To “you’re really running out of time… you know that, right?”

I realize that both of these thoughts are entirely irrational, but nevertheless they become battles I have to fight against roughly every day.

A darkness very similar to the one I had expressed last spring in my post: “Raw” came back in a familiar fashion, which really annoyed me, because any old foe is never welcome when you have conquered them in your life.   

Through my times of reflection, one commonality intermixed and hidden in all of these fears has come to the surface: my fear of loneliness.

For the past few years I have made some friendships that rival any I had made previously in any forms of grade school. Friendships I know that I will make every effort to maintain once our ways are parted and God leads us in different directions.

Romantic relationships break that up a bit early, and the realization that these relationships my friends are in are just a step in that direction of separation is very hard.

For the past three years of my small life, I have been relying on these women through different areas of refinement that my Creator has put me through. SERIOUS refinement through some major character flaws, and through some of my very first serious life decisions that will affect the way I live the rest of my life. As such, they are some of the most important people in my life.

I tried for a while to stuff these feelings like they normally do, but they proved too strong, and my God was ever more merciful to press my friends to express how I was feeling.

They were great, reassuring me of my worth in Christ, but it was never enough. I walked away from conversations feeling just as empty, and vehemently fighting against bitterness towards them and the seeming fantasy splendor glory of their rainbow-unicorn relationships… I guess I’m still working some of that out.
Hey, it’s a constant battle against our sinful nature, guys.

On the other side of the coin was the logic that said: “You know, you could get any guy you want…” A logic that is both extremely vain and unrealistic for a few reasons:

1.       No one should date someone because ‘they can’.

2.       It’s SO selfish of me to even think this, because no one’s doing me any favors dating me, because well, if I do get married that stuff takes real work and dedication so anyone you date should be someone who you could see yourself marrying.

3.       I’m really still figuring all of this crap out, so please don’t consider me a dating guru… There’s a lot of other great books out there on this (B-I-B-L-E whatup).

One final thought also made itself apparent.

What am I doing to cultivate the main relationship that truly gives me Life?

I’m looking at this fantasy as a way to fulfill this intimately-rooted desire to be fulfilled through long strings of adoration, praise, and also challenge. A problem I’ve carried into several of my relationships, regardless of whether or not they were romantic, friendship, or family based.

My worth in Christ in unmeasurable, every day He makes ways for me to feel adored, telling me constantly that the insecurities I’m feeling about my acne that just won’t go away, to the significant difference in the tightness of jeans that day is not a direct reflection of my WORTH in His Heart. In the Heart of the Creator of the Universe.

My worth is not based on the amount of people in my life, or the amount of affection they have for me. Those relationships are definitely an added richness, and are highly valuable, but when I start putting them on a high plane that what I have Christ at, that is when I am lacking fulfillment.

It’s like eating a handful of salad after you haven’t eaten all day. Don’t get me wrong, I love salad, but that stuff just won’t cut it when I haven’t eaten all day.

I’ve written a poem that further illustrates this journey. It’s called ‘Her’ and it’s my second most recent post after this one.

I hope that this Valentine’s Day, while many of us are wandering around without a significant other, there are so many other levels of love besides romance. Ones that add a richness to your life more than the passion of romance can. It’s only like, the top level after all. Families, friends, and every relationship should be celebrated on a day of love.

Thanks so much for reading, and as always I hope and pray that this post motivates you to seek our Creator, the giver of Life to all things.

Sincerely,

Alyse

No comments:

Post a Comment